Thursday 14 February 2013

The Decision...

I just thought I'd share this with you, it's not really about lampworking today but I felt I needed to explain a little bit about the situation I've found myself in recently.


Here Goes...

I had been pondering over which way to go with my businesses for a while, you may know that I'm also a jewellery designer and, well, to be perfectly honest. that side of the business has really been struggling with the current economic climate.  I'm not 100% sure why but part of me thinks that most people, including the market that I aim at are being careful with their pennies and in most cases jewellery is a luxury that the ordinary working class person just can't afford.  When times are tough, something has to go right?  I also believe that because there has been an incredible boom in the craft market and so many people are now making jewellery that the market is saturated with handmade jewellery and it's just not different any more...who knows?!

Anyway...

My business is a full time business, my bread and butter, and unfortunately it just wasn't paying as well as it used to.  It's fine if you're a hobbyist just wanting to make a few ££'s back for the cost of the materials but its a whole different ball game when you're trying to earn a living from it...Yup, I have dreaded bills to pay too ;0)

At the end of 2012 I knew I had a decision to make as far as Enchanted Handmade Jewellery goes...

I decided that I'm going to be taking a bit of a break from jewellery for a while, I'm going to be continuing my bespoke service, I love making jewellery to order.  By working this way I won't have huge amounts of retail jewellery hanging around my studio unsold but I get to 'keep my hand in'.  This also cuts down the amount I spend on materials (eeek if only you knew how much I spent on beads!).  I'll be concentrating more on the lampworking, which is really where my heart is.  There is so much to learn and I'm really very lucky to have gained a fantastic following already.  Why not come and join us on the Fyre Faerie Facebook page which I update regularly, or take a look at my Etsy shop to buy yourself a set of my beads...

I count myself very lucky to be a published designer and my work for the magazines Making Jewellery and My Creative Diva keep me busy.   I really value my work for the magazines and I'll still be coming up with designs for them, so if you're a fan of my work you'll still be able to follow it.  I'm also thinking of creating some quick and easy tutorials for you to follow right here on my blog.

You can visit the Making Jewellery website and learn how to make one of my earring designs.  The beautiful vintage style earrings below...



I have a great Steampunk Design in this months issue of Making Jewellery magazine which uses materials supplied by International Craft...I was chuffed to bits to find it on the front cover of the free Steampunk supplement, there's a sneaky preview of the project below, but do get yourself a copy its on sale right now!


I can now tell you too that I have taken on the position of In-House Designer for International Craft!  I'm very excited about this, they are a fantastic bead and findings supplier and I'll be designing some great tutorials with their supplies just for you to follow.  The first project is complete and is in the process of being made live on the internet for crafty folk all over the world to use. Watch this space!  I'll let you know when and where as soon as I get the go ahead...

Soooooo, after that you now know what's going on in my world!  I apologise for the length of my ramblings, wow I did go on a bit didn't I?!

Please feel free to share my blog amongst your friends on Twitter and Facebook or any of the other networking sites you use.  It'd also be really great to see your comments here, unfortunately with blogging you do sometimes feel as though you're rambling on to yourself, although I am used to that somewhat! LOL :0)

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, I hope everything works out for the better for you, your new role with International Craft sounds very exciting and its good to look for new opportunities. I think you are being very wise in this current climate.

    I just wish you lived closer to me as I'd be begging you to teach me how to lampwork, it's something I've wanted to learn to do for ages but unfortunately I've still not found anywhere near where I live I could learn. lol!

    I know what you mean about feeling like you are talking to yourself with blogging, I feel the same, but I still enjoy it. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda thank you so much for your comments. I'm really hoping I've made a good decision, fingers crossed ;0) Where abouts do you live, I could recommend a few good lampworkers in the country that teach...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, if you could that would be brilliant, I live in Warrington, Cheshire. I was considering buying the starter kit from Tuffnell glass and trying to teach myself via Youtube, but as its so expensive I though a lesson or two might be advisable first!.

      Delete